So, now that I have a center stand on Raven, I can theoretically do my own light maintenance. As I do not need to do an oil change yet (another 4000 miles on that) I decided that I would get a few other things done: front and rear sprockets, chain and parking brake pads (more on those later). So, with reckless abandon, I started on the first maintenance adventure over x-mas week.
Now, the reason I am also putting on the parking brake pads when they should have lasted the life of the motorcycle is because I mistakenly rode for about 30 miles with them engaged. As the motorcycle is an automatic (Dual Clutch Transmission) it has a parking brake installed as I cannot leave the motorcycle in gear when it is off. During the daylight hours, I can see the tiny orange line of the release button, but at night, with no instrument light, it is impossible to see. So, I wore the pads out.
On the Sunday before x-mas, I started taking things off the bike to get things ready for the replacement parts: foot peg framework, sprocket cover, chain guard/cover. Everything except the chain and the rear wheel. I didnt have the tools for the rear wheel, or cutters for the chain (no master link.) Thinking back, I should have waited until I had everything together, so I could have ridden on the 60 deg weather days we had leading up to and through x-mas. Oh well.
On x-mas eve, I went to the store, bought the wrenches for the tire, and a few other tools to flesh out what would be needed for me to do this solo form now on. A friend of mine was gonna come over and help with the chain and getting the tire back on. I went ahead and got the wheel off the bike and replaced the front sprocket. Then, it was a waiting game until Saturday when he was able to come over and help me finish the maintenance.
Finally, Saturday comes, and I am ready to get Raven back together again. We get the old chain cut and the new one threaded. I had already replaced the front sprocket, and we got the rear sprocket off and replaced. I got the new brake pads installed and then we threaded the new chain. Took both of us to get the wheel back on and lined up (could I have done it alone, yes, but it was easier with someone to assist).
With the wheel on, chain ends connected with the master link, it was time to do the chain alignment and adjustment. I think this took the longest, as it was new, there had been no stretching, and I was doing it pretty much on my own for the first time. After about 20 minutes of fiddling and hitting the tire and twisting bolts, I finally got it lined up and properly adjusted for the recommended slack. I thanked my friend as he needed to head out for a concert, and I got the garage cleaned up, tools put away.
I wish I had time to ride it this weekend, but I was only able to run up and down the street at my house and then up to the corner to fill the tank. A total of 2 miles or so. Since then, it has basically been raining non-stop. Starting this Tuesday, however, it should be clear, though crisp and cold. Should be able to make all the rides I want this week. Especially the New Years morning ride up to Leavenworth at the Overlook Inn. And then on the 2nd, which marks the 1 year anniversary of the first mile I put on Raven. Hard to believe a full year has passed.